14 Mar 2016
My first blog. Here’s to this blog becoming as therapeutic as I’m hoping it’ll be…we’ll see. If not therapeutic, here’s to hoping I don’t piss off too many folks. That’s certainly not my intention. I’m just looking for a place to vent, nothing more. If you do find yourself offended, here’s an idea: go away. Don’t read my posts. I haven’t sent any invitations to my little corner of WordPress, you stumbled across this page and continued reading after this warning…so don’t waste your time and mine by complaining. I appreciate a good debate as much as the next person, but please keep it civil – just as I will. We can disagree without being disrespectful.
I suppose it’s normal to share a little about oneself as part of a first blog? Is that how your first post is supposed to go? I’m a husband and a father. I’m a vet. My father is a vet. Both of my younger brothers are vets. My family (immediate and extended) leans more republican, but we do have a few Democrats and possibly a few closeted Independents and/or Libertarians. You know who you are.
Before anyone starts slinging the obligatory “Oh boy, another pissed-off, middle-aged, white, male, vet, republican with a blog” pile of dirt in my direction, you may want to pause a minute and continue reading before making any assumptions. If you don’t, you’ll make a complete ass out of yourself, because while that statement may be correct, it doesn’t even come close to telling the entire story. Yes, my voter registration card has an “R” on it, but I’ve always wondered whether I’m actually a conservative-leaning Democrat or the liberal-leaning Republican I claim to be. This isn’t the 1950’s anymore, it’s not that clear-cut. Let me give you a few examples:
- I believe we should help those in need…without hesitation. That being said, generation after generation of continuous public assistance is ridiculous. Get an education, get a job.
- What a woman does with her body is her business, regardless of whether or not I agree with it. Period.
- Drugs: legalize them (not decriminalize, legalize/tax/regulate) now and release anyone currently incarcerated for drug offenses. Go home, smoke a bowl, and chill the fuck out. Don’t do them if you don’t want to…
- Close our borders. We already have immigration laws on the books – enforce them. The most upset among us should be those that came here legally. They worked for it and earned it. That being said, anyone that’s here already shouldn’t have to hide in the shadows. Let them come out, start paying taxes on their earnings and be productive members of society. They’re already living among us, whether you like it or not. They are not leaving, but we can do a better job controlling the flow.
- BALANCE THE DAMN BUDGET ALREADY…and quit referring to our taxes as federal earnings and anything paid for with our taxes as “government-funded”. Horseshit, it’s taxpayer-funded.
- We need to stop sending our money to other countries until our own affairs are in order. I completely agree that there are folks suffering all around the world – but we have the same thing going on in our own back yard. Fix it at home first.
- Term limits: they are necessary for the President, now’s the time to accept that they are necessary for Congress as well. The term “career politician” should not exist.
- Marriage equality: why are you so angry that your gay neighbors got married?! Give me 1, just 1, example of how it has impacted your life…or the sanctity of your marriage. Get over it. They’re just as in love as you and your significant other.
- Live as a thug, die as a thug. I completely support the death penalty. None of the “it’s a deterrent” bullshit. It’s not. It’s a necessary tool to remove a scumbag from this planet.
- Nobody is above the law. Nobody. There are bankers and politicians walking free today that should be spending years, if not their entire life, behind bars. Prosecute them now.
Wow, that felt good…and that list is not even close to being completed. I’ll dig deeper into these, and others, as I find time.